Monday, June 20, 2016

Alaska 2016 - Reflections on Past Missions Experiences

It is now less than a week from our departure to Alaska.  This week, we will be packing and making final arrangements.  As I imagine this year's experience and the beauty of Alaska, I also think of other missions experiences of which I am aware.  A group from Riverview Baptist Church is in Cleveland now.  A large group from the same church is headed to Guatemala this summer.  Other missionaries are headed to Brazil for the Olympics.

Similarly, I ponder an opportunity I considered years ago.  My wife and I drove to Newark, New Jersey, to consider being part of inner-city ministry there.  At some point, I became aware of  World Impact, a ministry devoted to the urban populace, particularly the poor.  Since God showed me an understanding of inner-city life and related socioeconomic realities, I had an interest in inner-city ministry.  We began to support World Impact financially.  Later, we decided to check into an opportunity to serve in Newark.  It did not work out.

Nevertheless, I value people who make significant sacrifices to reach people, whether that is in Alaska, Los Angeles, or Newark.  While we eagerly anticipate an exciting opportunity on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska, I remember our visit to Newark.  I appreciate all who serve in urban or cross-cultural missions. Your devotion and sacrifice is making an eternal difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment